Use a lawyer when buying a property in Spain

When you want to buy a property on Costa del Sol in the south of Spain, there are many application processes that are both very bureaucratic, administrative and sometimes a bit cumbersome. In addition, it can be difficult to know what type of property that is worth buying.

You also need to find out about your property rights, how it works for you from a tax point of view, how long you will be there per year and much more. By using a lawyer and a real estate agent when buying a property on Costa del Sol in Spain, you make the experience much better and easier for yourself.

What can a lawyer help you with?

Buying a property in Spain is different from buying property in the UK. So just because you know the housing market there, you can't expect to use that experience in Spain. But luckily a lawyer can help. Firstly, a lawyer can help you translate the contracts you need to sign.

It is important to know what you are signing. If the Spanish language is not your main skill, legal aid is your solution. In addition, you can be sure that you can hold your lawyer responsible for an incorrect translation, should that happen. You can't do that with an external translator, who has no legal obligations to you.

When you buy land or property in Spain, a lawyer can help you check that the land is free of debts or other problems. This will help you avoid getting caught in an uncertain purchase. It would be very sad if you bought a property with debts. In the worst case, you may not be able to live in the house if you don't have the financial means. If you have bought a project, your lawyer can also help you to take over the loan.

At the same time, you also need to know if there is planning permission for the plot of land where you wish to construct. If you buy a house that needs renovating, but you are not allowed to do so, you will end up with a property that you will not be happy with in the long run. At the same time, it may be difficult to resell the property.

Your lawyer will also help you take possession of the property so that you can get a power of attorney. From here you can get financing through a Spanish bank and get paid for any expenses. The lawyer will also help you register a deed, advise on wills and review your payments and contracts.

Last but not least, your lawyer can help you with your application for a NIE number.

What is a NIE Number and how can a lawyer help you?

When you buy a property in Spain you will need what is known as a NIE number. A NIE number can be compared to your national identity number. It is extremely important that you have your NIE number in order before you buy a property, so you need to submit your application quickly.

Your lawyer can help you with this process as it can be very complicated. At the same time, your lawyer can help you translate the application to Spanish. Otherwise, you will have to contact the police station yourself, stand in line all day to fill out the application and know when the application is ready.

You can get help for example from C&D solicitors which makes it much easier for those who don't speak Spanish. The cost of getting help with this is negligible and can save you a lot of time and trouble in the long run.

Which type of property should you buy in Spain?

Once you've got yourself a NIE number, it's time to embark on the big house hunt. Now you need to decide what type of property you want. First and foremost, location is an important factor when you want to buy a property in Spain. The more popular an area is, the higher the price.

If you want a modern home, you can expect the price to be high too. In addition, you need to be sure that you get what you pay for. If you are thinking of renovating your home yourself to buy it more cheaply, a lawyer can help.

A work offer is sometimes a home with both debts and other commitments related to it. If you don't want to take on someone else's debt, the lawyer can guide you in what other homes might be of interest to you but still reasonably priced.

You should also know if you have full planning permission for your land and if there is nothing that needs to be preserved. Again, you will need a lawyer to get it right.

As mentioned earlier, the Spanish rules are also not the same as in the UK. If you want to take over a project where there is a debt on the land in question that you also wish to acquire, it is also best to do this with a lawyer on board so that the process is carried out properly.

You should also be aware of what it costs to live in the south of Spain.

Scroll to Top